Re:Oracle Names

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:50:20 -0400

Helmut,

    Most of what your doing will work, but setting up the names server is a little more complicated than that. What you need to do, especially if your going to have more than one server (highly recommended for fault tolerance) or more than one region, and your not going to use dynamic discovery (highly not recommended) is setup a repository. To do so you'll need to define the username/password/database in the names.ora file and get all of that data in either via the namesctl program of via net8assistant (recommended although it's NOT bug free).

What I'd recommend is set up the names server, configure one of more clients to use it, but leave "names.directory_path=(ONAMES.TNSNAMES)' for the time being till you have all of your service names and aliases setup. Then if possible transition slowly onto Onames, like one department at a time.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Oracle Names
Author: "Helmut Daiminger" <hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com> Date: 10/11/00 7:20 PM

Hi!

I am supposed to set up Oracle names server for our office. How exactly do I go about that?

  1. set up Oracle Names server on a server (that also has a database running on it)
  2. modify sqlnet.ora of all client workstations to point to names server Delete tnsnames.ora file from clients.
  3. put the tnsnames.ora file that has all the aliases in it on the names server box
  4. done

What I'm not perfectly sure about: all clients will connect to the Oracle names server (according to their sqlnet.ora file). Does the Oracle names server then use its local tnsnames.ora file to resolve all the aliases?

Thanks,
Helmut

Author: Helmut Daiminger
  INET: hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 12 2000 - 09:50:20 CDT