RE : Fwd: Database access by extranet

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:43:05 +0200

Stephane,

   I know one case, in which documents need to be put from an intranet database to an extranet database. For historical reason, the documents are stored as LONG RAWs in the source (8.0.5) database, BLOBs in the (newer) 8.1.5 target database.
 Snapshots were ruled out because they 'pull' the data and would have forced the extranet database to see the intranet one. Physical copy (clone) was ruled out because all the intranet data needs not be stored to the extranet database. exp/imp was ruled out because of the time involved (to make matters worse there is also Context/Intermedia indexing of documents). Transportable tablespaces might have been an option with other versions but we didn't have to contemplate it. Currently, there is a program running on the intranet host which truncates, then does an 'INSERT ... SELECT ..' into all the tables bar one (the one which contains the documents), then looks for the most recent document in the extranet database and inserts all the newer documents from the intranet database, converting from LONG RAW to BLOB in the process (the Oracle conversion function comes with 8.1.6 ...). It takes about 10 minutes. Not fully satisfactory, we intend to replace it with something better in the future, but it works.

--
Regards,

  Stephane Faroult
  email: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com