Re: Oracle Names

From: Oliver Artelt <oli_at_md.transnet.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:58:32 +0200

No,
you could use a region database or just let the names in the name server's cache. The name server must learn the names that he should resolve from another name server or just importing the the names via namesctl (load_tnsnames) or via netasst. He stores its cached information in ?/network/names. If you need a failover/loadbalanced solution you should use two nameserver that can load the names each other (after a crash).

oli

On Don, 12 Okt 2000, Helmut Daiminger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am supposed to set up Oracle names server for our office. How exactly do I
> go about that?
>
> a) set up Oracle Names server on a server (that also has a database running
> on it)
> b) modify sqlnet.ora of all client workstations to point to names server
> Delete tnsnames.ora file from clients.
> c) put the tnsnames.ora file that has all the aliases in it on the names
> server box
> d) done
>
> What I'm not perfectly sure about: all clients will connect to the Oracle
> names server (according to their sqlnet.ora file). Does the Oracle names
> server then use its local tnsnames.ora file to resolve all the aliases?
>
> Thanks,
> Helmut

> Author: Helmut Daiminger
> INET: hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com

---

Oliver Artelt, System- und Datenbankadministration
  cubeoffice GmbH & Co.KG # jordanstrasse 7 # 39112 magdeburg
telefon: +49 (0)391 6 11 28 10 # telefax: +49 (0)391 6 11 28 19
   email: oli@cubeoffice.de # web: http://www.cubeoffice.de