Re: Placement of application server

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:42:06 -0700 (PDT)

--0-147457460-971199726=:52073

 Pros: Better performance if the box is powerful enough to handle both tiers. Less network traffic. Less machines to administer.

Cons: HA configuration more complex and less reliable (belive me, it is). More machines to administer. Less scalability as DB and APP begin to crowd each other as one or both grows. OCI queries are extremely slow on LOBs.

I'm sure there are others. These are just off the top of my head.

We've done it and for the HA reasons listed above we wish we hadn't. Next phase of our app will DEFINITELY separate the app and db servers physically (as soon as we hammer out the OCI LOB query problem). Other than that though, our app's performance has exceeded all expectations. If you're interested our architecture is Web based. We have 4 web servers running ASP, using XML messages over MQ series to an OCI application. We are currently supporting about 200 users with this configuration for parts our Customer Service app with the rest of it to be rolled out in January.

  David Shockey <davidshockey_at_zdnetonebox.com> wrote: I am in a shop that is beginning to migrate systems from legacy to Sun/Oracle platform. They have chosen to develop using Oracle Designer/Developer and will develop applications for both internal and web users. They are considering using jDeveloper instead of the Developer 2000 suite.

Production and development database servers are in place. However, there are no application servers (hardware) nor provisions for purchasing them in the near future.

My question is: What are the pros and cons of having the database server and application server software on the same box?

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax, all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com
Author: David Shockey
INET: davidshockey_at_zdnetonebox.com

--0-147457460-971199726=:52073

<P> Pros: Better performance if the box is powerful enough to handle both tiers. Less network traffic. Less machines to administer.</P>
<P>Cons: HA&nbsp; configuration more complex and less reliable (belive me, it is).&nbsp;More machines to administer. Less scalability as DB and APP begin to crowd each other as one or both grows. OCI queries are <EM>extremely</EM> slow on LOBs.</P>
<P>I'm sure there are others. These are just off the top of my head.</P>
<P>We've done it and for the HA reasons listed above we wish we hadn't. Next phase of our app will DEFINITELY separate the app and db servers physically (as soon as we hammer out the OCI LOB query problem). Other than that though, our app's performance has exceeded all expectations. If you're interested our architecture&nbsp;is Web based. We have 4 web servers running ASP, using XML messages over MQ series to an OCI application. We are currently supporting about 200 users with this configuration for parts our Customer Service app with the rest of it to be rolled out in January. </P>
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>David Shockey &lt;davidshockey_at_zdnetonebox.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I am in a shop that is beginning to migrate systems from legacy to Sun/Oracle<BR>platform. They have chosen to develop using Oracle Designer/Developer<BR>and will develop applications for both internal and web users. They<BR>are considering using jDeveloper instead of the Developer 2000 suite.<BR><BR>Production and development database servers are in place. However, there<BR>are no application servers (hardware) nor provisions for purchasing them<BR>in the near future. <BR><BR>My question is: What are the pros and cons of having the database server<BR>and application server software on the same box? <BR><BR>___________________________________________________________________<BR>To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,<BR>all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com<BR><BR>-- <BR>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com<BR>-- <BR!