Defragmenting a database

From: <cemail_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:28:07 -0700

Some of our objects have up to 3000 extents and we are starting to have load issues and performance issues. I know that I need to do an export, recreate the object with a larger initial extent and then import the data back in. What do you do about the constraints?  I don't want to go to import and then get constraint violations.  Do you have to export the offending object and all of the tables related to it and then import them all back in at the same time?

Also some of the objects are indexes. This is Oracle 8.0.5 on HPUX. After doing the export/import on the tables would it be easier to just rebuild the indexes with different storage parameters versus dropping and recreating?

Sent using MailStart.com ( http://MailStart.Com/welcome.html ) The FREE way to access your mailbox via any web browser, anywhere! Received on Mon Oct 09 2000 - 19:28:07 CDT