Block Size and # of Extents

From: Rajesh Dayal <Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:31:43 +0400

Hi everybody,

        Can someone explain to me why the Maximum no of extents increase with the Block Size of Database ? For Example,

Block size 		Max # of Extents
2k			121
4k			255
8k			504
16k			1032
32k			2070

Manuals say

The number of extents per Oracle block depends on operating system block size and platform. Although an extent is a data structure inside Oracle, the size of this data structure depends on operating system. Accordingly, this affects the number of extents which can be stored in a single operating system block.
<<

        The explanation has stumped me :-|

Thanks for your time, Received on Mon Oct 09 2000 - 06:31:43 CDT