Re: BULK BIND

From: Jeff Landers <jlanders_at_convergys.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:51:40 -0400

Koivu, Lisa wrote:

> good morning all -
>
> Has anyone used this statement? Seems to me that BULK BIND could
> cause a PL/SQL program to become excessively large while executing if
> too many records are returned. Any insights are appreciated, I'm just
> curious.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lisa Rutland Koivu
> Oracle Database Administrator
> Qode.com
> 4850 North State Road 7
> Suite G104
> Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319
>
> V: 954.484.3191, x174
> F: 954.484.2933
> C: 954.658.5849
> http://www.qode.com
>
> "The information contained herein does not express the opinion or
> position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon
> Qode.com."

  Hi Lisa
We have applications that perform deletes and updates of millions of rows -- daily. We have
found the use of both bulk collect and bulk bind to provide a significant performance improvement.
Yes, we try to design a solid partition scheme so that we can take advantage of truncation, but
the situation often arises when the customer has dorked something up and we must write PL/SQL
scripts to fix the data. For example, prior to bulk binds a deletion of 10 million rows would take
somewhere around 10+ hours. Bulking it we got about 5-6 million per hour. Lot of other factors
involved, but bottom line is the elimination of all the context switching between PL/SQL engine and
SQL engine provides a significant boost in performance. Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 10:51:40 CDT