Re: Trashing Oracle. [remove from NT: Metalink Note:62004.1]

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:17:37 -0700

-----begin excerpted material-----

 Doc ID:

         Note:62004.1

         Removing a Oracle Instance and Database from
         Windows NT
 Type:
         BULLETIN

                                                Content Type:
                                                                 TEXT/PLAIN
                                                Creation Date:
                                                                 30-JUN-1998
                                                Last Revision Date:
                                                                 26-MAR-2000
                                                Language:
                                                                 USAENG

 PURPOSE

 This note explains how you can remove an entire instance  and database and all related links from a Microsoft Windows NT box.

 SCOPE & APPLICATION

 The intended audience for this article is Oracle DBAs who have a  moderate knowledge of Oracle7 or Oracle8 Server. This bulletin  makes the following assumptions:

 Related Notes

 Note:61621.1 RECREATING ORACLE7 AND ORACLE8 SERVICES AND INSTANCES

              FROM COMMAND LINE  Removing a Oracle Instance and Database from Windows NT

 This bulletin makes the following assumptions:

       o The SID of the instance to be removed is TEST.
       o The Oracle Home is C:\Orant.
       o Text surrounded by brackets, such as <filename>, is to be
         interpreted as a variable that needs to be replaced -
         without brackets - with an appropriate value of the type
         specified.
       o Oracle 7.3 ==> svrmgr23 , oradim73, rdbms73
         Oracle 8.0 ==> svrmgr30 , oradim80, rdbms80
         Oracle 8.1 ==> svrmgrl  , oradim  , rdbms
         In general svrmgrxx, oradimxx
       o To which instance is one connecting
        1. LOCAL variable
        2. ORACLE_SID
        Both can be defined at
        a) registry
            * LOCAL
                if the database has the default home
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
                if the database has a non default home
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEyy
                                (yy the home number of your database)
            * ORACLE_SID
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
        b) my_computer\properties\Environment
                declared in     - System Variables
                         or     - User Variables for user
        c) command prompt: input 'set local=TEST'
                                'set ORACLE_SID=TEST'
                        Remark: no space around the equal sign

        - to use svrmgrxx, local should not be set
        - if ORACLE_SID validation happens in this order
                1) registry
                2) my_computer\properties\Environment System Variables
                3) my_computer\properties\Environment User Variables
                4) command prompt
            The latest declaration is taken into account
                f.e. in registry:           ORACLE_SID=ORCL
                     at command prompt: set ORACLE_SID=TEST
                ==> TEST is going to be used
        - To see if any of these variables (local,ORACLE_SID) is
                set outside the registry, open a command prompt
                and type 'set Local'
                         'set ORACLE_SID'
                If the variable is not set outside the registry,
                ==> 'Environment variable local not defined'
                Otherwise
                ==> C:\>set ORACLE_SID
                    ORACLE_SID=or85
                    C:\>
  1. Connect as internal to the instance you wish to remove.

       1A. Start Server Manager.

            From the Command Prompt
              * a1. Select Start\Run & Input 'Command'
                  or
                a2. Start\Programs\Command Prompt
                b.  Select OK.
                c.  Input 'set ORACLE_SID=TEST'
                      ? Remark: no spaces around the equal sign.
                      ? Make sure there is nowhere a local variable
                          defined.
                        To make sure:
                          - on Command Prompt: Input 'Set local'
                            => 'Environment variable local not defined'
                            ok
                          - registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
                            or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEyy
                                  (yy the home number of your database)
                          - right click my computer\properties\Environment
                                  no local variable declared in
                                          - System Variables
                                          - User Variables for user

                e.  svrmgrxx

            From the Windows NT Taskbar
            (check local and ORACLE_SID variable)
              a.  Select Start\Run.
              b.  Input svrmgrxx
              c.  Select OK.

            From Program Manager
            (check local and ORACLE_SID variable)
              a.  Select File\Run
              b.  Input svrmgrxx
              c.  Select OK.

       1B.  Input the following command at the SVRMGR> prompt:

           connect internal/<password>

       It should now state the following:

                  Connected

 2.  Using the SPOOL and SELECT commands create a file that lists
      the full directory paths of the control, log and datafiles for TEST.
      The spool file will be used later to manually delete the files.

        SVRMGR>  spool <filename>
        SVRMGR>  select * from V$CONTROLFILE;
        SVRMGR>  select * from V$LOGFILE;
        SVRMGR>  select * from V$DATAFILE;
        SVRMGR>  spool off
        SVRMGR>  exit

 3. Delete the instance, its services, pwd<SID>.ora and strt<SID>.ora.

       3A. Use the Taskbar or Program Manager to open a Command Prompt window.

            From the Windows NT Taskbar
                Select Start\Programs\Command Prompt.
                  or
              Select Start\Run & Input 'Command'

            From Program Manager
                Select the Main icon followed by the Command Prompt icon.

       3B.  Input the following command and press Enter.

              oradimxx -delete -sid TEST

 4. Verify the instance was deleted.

       4A. Open and view the oradimxx.log.

            From the Windows NT Taskbar
               a.  Select Start\Programs\Windows NT Explorer.
               b.  Go to the orant\rdbmsxx directory.
               c.  Open the oradimxx.log file in Notepad.

            From File Manager
               a.  Open Program Manager and Select the Main icon followed by the
                   File Manager icon.
               b.  Go to the orant\rdbmsxx directory.
               c.  Open the oradimxx.log in Notepad.

       4B.  The ordimxx.log file should read:

                Deleting instance...

                Instance deleted.

            If it does, exit Notepad, exit the Explorer (or File Manager), and
          go to Step 5.  Else, refresh the oradimxx.log file periodically
            until it states
            "Instance deleted."  If refreshing the screen doesn't change the
            log, go to Step 5.

     Till 8.0.4 the Instance Manager had a Graphical User Interface where one
     could verify if which instances exist on the server.
     To display the GUI Instance Manager: type at the command prompt: ORADIMxx.

 5.  Verify the OracleStartTEST and OracleServiceTEST services were removed.
        For Oracle 8.1.x only the OracleServiceTEST existed

       5A.  Open the Windows NT Services window.

            From the Windows NT Taskbar
               a.  Select Start\Settings\Control Panel.
               b.  Select the Services icon.

            From Program Manager
               a.  Select the Main icon.
               b.  Select the Control Panel icon.
               c.  Select the Services icon.

       5B.  Verify the following services are no longer present:

              OracleStartTEST and OracleServiceTEST.

            If they are, close the Services window, exit Control Panel,
            and go to Step 6 else to to Step 5C.

       5C.  Use the command line Instance Manager to manually delete the
            services.  Be sure to replace <service> with the name of the
            service as it appears in Control Panel\Services.

                 oradimxx -delete -srvc <service1>, <service2>

       5D.  Repeat Steps 5A and 5B to verify the services were successfully
            removed.  If they have been deleted, close the Services Window,
            exit Control Panel, and go to Step 6.  If not, either refresh the
            Control Panel\Services Window periodically until they are removed.
            Or, reboot the machine to force the removal of all services
            marked for deletion.

 6.  Manually delete the control, log and data files using Explorer or File
      Manager.

      6A.  Print the spool file created in Step 2.
           1.  Open the spooled file in Notepad.
           2.  Select File\Print.
           3.  Exit Notepad.

      6B.  Find and delete the control files, log files, and
           data files from the directories specified in the
           spooled file.

      6C.  Delete the orant\database\initTEST.ora file.  Verify the pwdTEST.ora
           (a hidden file) and strtTEST.ora files are deleted.  If not, delete
           them.
      6D.  Go to the Orant\Rdbmsxx\Trace directory.  Delete all files associated
           with the TEST instance.
      6E.  Exit the Explorer (or File Manager).

 7.  Verify the ORACLE_SID parameter in the registry is set to an instance
      other than TEST

       CAUTION:  One should use caution in editing the registry.  Your system
                 may not boot up if you inadvertently modify a critical system
                 parameter.  Before editing this file you may want to view the
                 'Help' in the registry.  Review the topics, 'Exporting all or
                 part of the registry to a text file', 'Importing some or all of
                 the registry', and 'Restoring the registry'.

       7A.  Open the Registry Editor.

            From the Windows NT Taskbar
               a.  Select Start\Run.
               b.  Input regedt32 or regedit
               c.  Select OK.

            From Program Manager
               a.  Select File\Run.
               b.  Input regedt32
               c.  Select OK.

       7B.  Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE.  A list of
            parameters should appear on the right pane.  In that list,
            locate ORACLE_SID.  If it's set to TEST, change it to another SID.

       7C.  Exit the Registry Editor.

 8. Check the environment variables if nothing refers to the SID
       a. Start\Settings\Control Panel\System
       b. Choose the Tab Environment
       c. Check the system variables and the user variables if nothing
           refers to the old SID (f.e. ORACLE_SID=TEST).
          If so change appropriately: delete the key or change it to another SID.

 9. The instance has been removed.

   Remark: The Database Assistant (8.0) and Database Configuration Assistant(8.1)    tools can do step 1 to 6 in an automated and graphical way.  .

   Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Legal Notices and Terms    of Use.