Re: Init.ora parameters query

From: yong huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:28:19 -0700 (PDT)

Potential problem with ordering of init.ora parameters.

I have not verified. But if you have such parameters as event, rollback_segments or control_files in two parameter files, one is included into the other main one by ifile, then you may have problems. The above three parameters, if there're multiple entries for them, cannot be separated by other parameters. I.e.,

event="1547 trace name errorstack"
processes=3500
event="4031 trace name errorstack level 1"

will be as though the first event line was commented out. To correct it, the middle line processes has to be placed before the first or after the last event line.

Suppose your ifile'd parameter file contains the first event line and your main init.ora contains the processes and the event=4031 line, you'll have this problem, even if in each parameter file parameters are strictly alphabetically sorted.

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

you wrote:

> Could anyone tell me if there is any logic to the
> order in which parameters
> appear in an INIT.ORA file. Some parameters I know
> are related to each
> other logically but I'm wondering if there is not a
> good reason for placing
> parameters in alphabetical sequence which I think
> would be useful in seeing
> what parameters are in use.
>
> Sean :)

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos - 35mm Quality Prints, Now Get 15 Free! Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 14:28:19 CDT