Schema management

From: Bill Becker <beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:33 CDT

Hello,

I am seeking advice on how to organize schema security within an Oracle instance. Currently, we tend to divide schemas by application usage (all of appA's objects are owned by appA_owner, appB's objects are owned by appB_owner, etc.) The main problem with this is that there is a frequent need to cross schema boundaries for applications or processes that affect data owned by several different owners.

The suggestion has been made to have a single owner that owns everything, and to control access to developers and users entirely thru roles. System-wide processes/applications would be run under this owner's privs; other proceses/applications more narrow in scope would have their privileges determined entirely thru roles.

I am wondering what other solutions exist. Is there an accepted practice which most people follow? Can anyone point me to some documentation describing a good solution for managing schemas?

Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.7

Thanks to any who respond.
beckerb_at_dgabby.mfldclin.edu Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 13:33:00 CDT