Re: Oracle on NT vs Oracle on Linux

From: Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 07:38:09 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C02E9F.357965C0 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

RE: Oracle on NT vs Oracle on LinuxHello Satar,

Interesting response.

Balance of reply inline.

>> Hi Chuck...=20
>>=20
>> My Bad, I should have stated that "two reasons, of many,  for =
choosing Linux over NT is it's free and they provide the source code".=20 >> You're right, there are so many other reasons why to choose Linux = over NT. I wasn't being fair to Linux by only stating two reasons.

Again, I am no fan of M$ or NT, but Linux has plenty of issues of its = own. Among these: =20
1. Hardware support while improving is still somewhat problematic = (especially in the areas of SCSI/RAID controllers, network interface = cards, display adapters). =20
2. SMP support is immature at best. =20
3. Oracle on Linux is still very much a work in progress. Linux is not = a full-fledged tier 1 platform yet.

4.  Very limited choice of tools for managing Oracle on Linux.
5.  Suppport for clustering is immature at best.
6.  Hardware vendor support while improving is still somewhat =
problematic.

>>=20
>> 2. If you told your boss/management/client that you could use Linux, = instead of NT, in their business environment and that it will save=20 >> them a lot of money in NT licensing/admin/hardware costs, they will = laugh at you? really?

  1. OS licensing is a very small part of total system cost. Lets assume = a very simple scenario: Departmental application server for a marketing = department with 50 users: Midrange Intel-based database server (Compaq = Proliant DL 580, 4x700MHz Pentium III, 1.5 GB RAM, 5x18.2 GB Disk, Dual = NICs, approx $35K). Named user Oracle licensing 8i Release 2 (RDBMS = only), 93 named user required minimum, $46K after discount. So far, = you've spent $81K, now suppose you recommend they run this machine using = the free download version of RedHat Linux 6.2 with support via listserv = and newsgroup...do you really think they will take you seriously? BTW, = NT 4 for such a machine would be $795 (assuming no file or print = sharing). At a bare minimum, I would suggest they go with RedHat = Professional Server $180, at least they would have 30 days of phone = installation support and 90 days of web-based installation support. Ok, = you've saved them $600 in OS in OS software acquisition costs. But = wait, RedHat Enterprise Edition Server for Oracle 8i is $2500 and it = includes such "nice to haves" as large file support, hardware RAID = support, SMP support, 1 year of business hours support on a per system = basis, (if you want to support additional systems, you'll need = additional licenses).
  2. I'm not sure where you are seeing any admin cost savings. Unix = administrators (including Linux) generally command higher salaries than = do NT administrators.
  3. I'm not sure where you are seeing any hardware cost savings. You're = going to need a pretty substantial box to run 8i Release 2 on either = Linux or NT.
  4. Total cost of ownership of Linux vs NT is still subject to = considerable debate.
  5. If you want OEM or some other "standard" management tools, you're = still going to need a pretty hefty NT box.

>>=20
>> 3. If free access to source code wasn't a major factor to a majority = of customers, then why has Sun Microsystems released their=20 >> source code? If you're a new startup company, chances are you are = using Solaris or Linux with Oracle.=20
>> The source code will allow the customers to develop and tune their = apps with the OS and create new companies/products=20 >> with new Apps geared towards the growth of the OS.=20

  1. Sun has NOT made a general release of their source code. You don't = receive Solaris source code simply by purchasing a copy of Solaris.
  2. Sun's Community Source License (SCSL) program is limited to specific = Sun technologies, most of them related to Java. The Solaris operating = system is not included in this program. Solaris 8 source code is = covered by a different source licensing program which is much more = restrictive. At present, the Solaris 8 source license program is open = only to existing Solaris source licensees, and current source contract = holders. These programs are geared toward registered developers, ISVs = and large customers with special needs, not the Sun customer community = at large.
  3. Sun has by no means jumped on the open source bandwagon. They still = retain a great deal of proprietary control over their source code, and = they require confidentiality on the part of source code holders.
  4. SCSL is motivated primarily by Sun's business needs in the following = areas: speed to market with Sun technology improvements, speed to = market with new commercial products based upon Sun technologies. =20

>>=20
>> 4. Isn't support for Red Hat only 40 bucks (US Dollars) a year?=20

RedHat offers several support programs. Incident based support is $299 = per incident. Last I heard, RedHat hourly support is > $100 per hour = (25 hour minimum on an annual basis) it may be more expensive now. = There are also per server annual support agreements available, pricing = varies based upon number of servers. Hourly support from LinuxCare is = $180 per hour.

Regards,
Chuck

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C02E9F.357965C0 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>RE: Oracle on NT vs Oracle on Linux</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello Satar,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Interesting response.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Balance of reply inline.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;&gt; Hi Chuck... <BR>&gt;&gt; =
<BR>&gt;&gt; My=20

Bad, I should have stated that "two reasons, of many,&nbsp; for choosing = Linux=20
over NT is it's free and they provide the source code". <BR>&gt;&gt; = You're=20
right, there are so many other reasons why to choose Linux over NT. I = wasn't=20
being fair to Linux by only stating two reasons.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Again, I am no fan of M$ or NT, but =
Linux has=20
plenty of issues of its own.&nbsp; Among these:&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;Hardware=20
support while improving is still somewhat problematic (especially in the = areas=20
of SCSI/RAID controllers, network interface cards, display = adapters).&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2.</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> =
SMP support is=20
immature at best.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. Oracle on Linux is still very much a =
work in=20
progress.&nbsp; Linux is not a full-fledged tier 1 platform = yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4.&nbsp; Very limited choice of tools =
for managing=20
Oracle on Linux.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>5.&nbsp; Suppport for clustering is =
immature at=20
best.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>6.&nbsp; Hardware vendor support while =
improving is=20
still somewhat problematic.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; 2. If you told =
your=20
boss/management/client that you could use Linux, instead of NT, in their =

business environment and that it will save <BR>&gt;&gt; them a lot of = money in=20
NT licensing/admin/hardware costs, they will laugh at you?=20 really?<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.&nbsp; OS licensing is a very small =
part of total=20
system cost.&nbsp; Lets assume a very simple scenario:&nbsp;Departmental =

application server for a marketing department with 50 users:&nbsp; = Midrange=20
Intel-based database server (Compaq Proliant DL 580, 4x700MHz Pentium = III, 1.5=20
GB RAM, 5x18.2 GB Disk, Dual NICs, approx $35K).&nbsp; Named user Oracle =

licensing 8i Release 2 (RDBMS only), 93 named user required minimum, = $46K after=20
discount.&nbsp; So far, you've spent $81K, now suppose you recommend = they run=20
this machine using the free download version of RedHat Linux 6.2 with = support=20
via listserv and newsgroup...do you really think they will take you=20 seriously?&nbsp; BTW, NT 4 for such a machine would be $795 (assuming no = file or=20
print sharing).&nbsp; At a bare minimum, I would suggest they go with = RedHat=20
Professional Server $180, at least they would have 30 days of phone = installation=20
support and 90 days of web-based installation support.&nbsp; Ok, you've = saved=20
them $600 in OS in OS software acquisition costs.&nbsp; But wait, RedHat =

Enterprise Edition Server for Oracle 8i is $2500 and it&nbsp; includes = such=20
"nice to haves" as large file support, hardware RAID support, SMP = support, 1=20
year of business hours support on a per system basis, (if you want to = support=20
additional systems, you'll need additional licenses).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2.&nbsp; I'm not sure where you are =
seeing any=20
admin cost savings.&nbsp; Unix administrators (including Linux) = generally=20
command higher salaries than do NT administrators.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3.&nbsp; I'm not sure where you are =
seeing any=20
hardware cost savings.&nbsp;&nbsp;You're going to need a pretty = substantial box=20
to run 8i Release 2 on either Linux or NT.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial>4.&nbsp; Total cost of ownership =
of Linux vs=20
NT is still subject to considerable debate.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>5.&nbsp; If you want OEM or some other =
"standard"=20
management tools, you're still going to need a pretty hefty NT = box.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; 3. If free access =
to source=20
code wasn't a major factor to a majority of customers, then why has Sun=20 Microsystems released their <BR>&gt;&gt; source code? If you're a new = startup=20
company, chances are you are using Solaris or Linux with Oracle. =
<BR>&gt;&gt;=20

The source code will allow the customers to develop and tune their apps = with the=20
OS and create new companies/products <BR>&gt;&gt; with new Apps geared = towards=20
the growth of the OS. <BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.&nbsp; Sun has NOT made a general =
release of=20
their source code.&nbsp;&nbsp;You don't receive Solaris source = code&nbsp;simply=20
by purchasing a copy of Solaris.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2.&nbsp; Sun's Community Source License =
(SCSL)=20
program is limited to specific Sun technologies, most of them related to =

Java.&nbsp; The Solaris operating system is not included in this=20 program.&nbsp;&nbsp;Solaris 8 source code is covered by a different = source=20
licensing program which is much more restrictive.&nbsp; At present, the = Solaris=20
8 source license program is&nbsp;open only to existing&nbsp;Solaris = source=20
licensees, and&nbsp;current source contract holders. These programs are = geared=20
toward registered developers, ISVs and large customers with special = needs, not=20
the Sun&nbsp;customer community at large.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3.&nbsp; Sun has by no means jumped on =
the open=20
source bandwagon.&nbsp; They still retain a great deal of proprietary = control=20
over their source code, and they require confidentiality on the part of = source=20
code holders.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4.&nbsp; SCSL is motivated primarily by =
Sun's=20
business needs in the following areas:&nbsp; speed to market with Sun = technology=20
improvements, speed to market with new commercial products based upon = Sun=20
technologies.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; 4. Isn't support =
for Red Hat=20
only 40 bucks (US Dollars) a year? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>RedHat offers several support =
programs.&nbsp;=20
Incident based support is $299 per incident.&nbsp; Last I heard, RedHat = hourly=20
support is &gt; $100 per hour (25 hour minimum on an annual basis) it = may be=20
more expensive now.&nbsp; There are also per server annual support = agreements=20
available, pricing varies based upon number of servers.&nbsp; Hourly = support=20 Received on Thu Oct 05 2000 - 06:38:09 CDT