Re:Oracle on Linux....Special edition of Linux?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:02:28 -0400

Steve,

    I've had Oracle 8.0.5 on a Red Hat 5.1 Linux box for over a year with no problems. The OS I actually got from Borders as I bought a Red Hat book for $35. The Oracle software was acquired by my boss on a lark to see if this had any potential. We're thinking of putting one outside the firewall for external needs. It may give us a way around Oracle's Power Unit pricing by using a lower end single processor Intel 133 box especially since there will be less than 200MB of data, mostly queries & few insert/update actions.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Oracle on Linux....Special edition of Linux? Author: "Steve McClure" <steve_at_pactr.com> Date: 10/4/00 12:50 PM

I have been asked to put together a quote for a UNIX box that will run an Oracle Database. The database is relatively small and will not have lots of HW requirements. I though Linux was something to look into, due to the low cost of the OS. In looking into Redhat Linux I saw they had a 'special' enterprise edition for Oracle. Well upon calling them they said their standard version had some issues with Oracle, and they had altered their kernel to suit Oracles needs. Does this mean they went in a configured some options within the kernel? Or is this a different kernel? The tech I spoke to was not able to say.

Bottom line is this...Linux off the shelf is under $100. The special enterprise edition runs $2500.

All I am doing is building the box, and installing Oracle.

Thanks for any insight you might send my way. Steve McClure

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: steve_at_pactr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Oct 05 2000 - 09:02:28 CDT