NT listener hang

From: Cunningham, Gerald <Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:55:38 -0400

Hi everybody,

I'm rather inexperienced with Oracle on NT (though I've been an Oracle DBA on UNIX for a while) and recently have had some listeners that seem to hang. Here's what happened today:

NT / 8.0.5

Services

Could not start the OracleTNSListener80LISTENER_iden service on \\MACHINE_NAME Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error occurred.

Attempted to listen on: (DESCRIPTION=blah blah blah...) TNS-12542: TNS:address already in use
 TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00512: Address already in use
   32-bit Windows Error: 48: Unknown system error

I'm guessing that it didn't get shut down cleanly (yes, I am a master of the obvious!) We ended up using the brute force method of rebooting the server, but I was thinking there's got to be a better way. Is there?! Are there any NT processes that I could have checked and/or killed? Received on Thu Oct 05 2000 - 09:55:38 CDT