(Fwd) RE: performance [structured denormalization]

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:27:42 -0700

Apparently ODTUG is interested in having someone do a presentation on denormalization (see below).
regards,
ep

Maggie,

I found a couple of articles online regarding denormalization:

"Denormalization and the Rules of Reconstruction" by Dick Root http://www.tdan.com/i014ht04.htm

     [ This article by Dick Root states that there has been a missing
       step in the database design process.  By the time the DBA is
       called up to tune the indices of a database it is probably
       already too late.  Mr. Root makes it clear in this article
       that efficiency should be designed into the data structure
       before the data is actually put on disk  ]

and

"Denormalization Guidelines" by Craig S. Mullins http://www.tdan.com/i001fe02.htm

     [ ...Frequently ...  performance needs dictate very quick
       retrieval capability for data stored in relational databases.
       To accomplish this, sometimes the decision is made to
       denormalize the physical implementation. Denormalization is
       the process of putting one fact in numerous places. This
       speeds data retrieval at the expense of data modification.

       It is not the intention of this article to promote the concept
       of denormalization. Of course, a normalized set of relational
       tables is the optimal environment and should be implemented
       for whenever possible. Yet, in the real world, denormalization
       is sometimes necessary. Denormalization is not necessarily a
       bad decision if implemented wisely.  ... ]

Hope these help.