Re: WebDB and IAS

From: <MTPConsulting_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:30:50 EDT

Hi Ben,
I think this is just the packaging. I would expect you could still install WebDB by itself, without IAS. Oracle has consolidated all of the tools into one product for sales purposes. It's the same with Forms Developer or Server, Designer, JDeveloper, etc. You can't buy any of them standalone anymore. If you want them on a Unix platform, it's IAS. If you want them on an NT platform, it's IDS (Internet Developer Suite). Of course, there's probably a price differential too.

Marc Perkowitz
MTP Systems Consulting

In a message dated 10/5/00 11:21:35 AM Central Daylight Time, poelsb_at_post.queensu.ca writes:

<< Hi,

 We were just beginning to use WebDB as a tool for building quick and  easy web pages from Oracle datamarts. Now WebDB seems to have  transformed itself into iPortal and is bundled with the IAS.  You can't even buy a license for a stand alone version of WebDB  anymore (according to our Oracle sales rep). I am not sure if iPortal  can be used without IAS.

 Our problem is that WebDB was a good solution for us. We have no  need at the moment to install IAS and go to a three tier solution.  What are other companies using for building quick and easy web  pages?

 Ben Poels
 Queen's University Received on Thu Oct 05 2000 - 14:30:50 CDT