[Fwd: Oracle Back-up]

From: Corneliu Chelemen <chc_at_cce.sidex.ro>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:04:00 +0300

--------------E4AFABCC36399502FBEBD018

Tanks to

Suhen Pather
Jagan Rao

Best Regards

Corneliu Chelemen

--------------E4AFABCC36399502FBEBD018

	by cce.sidex.ro (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id NAA09710
	for <chc_at_cce.sidex.ro>; Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:49:53 +0300
To: "'Corneliu Chelemen'" <chc_at_cce.sidex.ro> Subject: RE: Oracle Back-up
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:43:16 +0400

Hello Corneliu,

I did not try sbt_tape. I also used only channel type disk and the followed up by os commands to copy to the tape.

RMAN has bugs. Since you are using only 8.0.3 check up from oracle support on the list of bugs not yet fixed in that version. I used 8.0.5 in that incremental backup does not work. I heard that is fixed in 8.0.6 or so.

However, following info from Oracle doc might help you:

Backing Up to Sequential Media

If you use Recovery Manager to perform backups to sequential media, such as tape, you must have media management software integrated with your Oracle software.

Figure 7-2 MML Architecture

In Figure 7-2 <ch7.htm> , the Oracle executable is the same executable that is started when a user connects to the database. MML is the Media Management Library, which is media management, vendor-supplied software. Software routines in the MML are called by Oracle to back up and restore.

In the following example, a Recovery Manager script performs a datafile backup:
run {

   allocate channel t1 type `SBT_TAPE';
   backup
     format `df_%s_%t'
  (datafile 10);
}

When Recovery Manager executes this command, it sends the backup request to the Oracle server process that will be performing the backup. The Oracle server process identifies the output channel as the type `SBT_TAPE', and requests the MML to load the tape and write the output, among other things.

If the channel type was disk, Oracle would not have connected to the MML software because Oracle can write to disk without the assistance of third-party integration software.