Query performance based on calling app...

From: Steven Monaghan <MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:14:58 -0400

I have a pretty simple query inside a stored procedure that joins three tables.

When the procedure is executed by the third party software (Interworld), I get about 18,000 buffer gets and 18,000 disk reads for the execution of the query (based on Toad's SGA Trace) and it takes about 4 seconds.

When the passing in the same data (the developer swears the data he is giving me is the same) into the procedure from SQL*Plus, it does no disk reads and about 700 buffer gets. It also runs this way if I execute the query directly.

I am flushing the shared pool before each test to better read the data and this database has a large Buffer Cache (500M). Any hints on where to look to figure out why it runs so differently? On a smaller development database, this query performs normally. I am at a loss...

Steve

Steven Monaghan
Oracle DBA
MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.