Oracle on Linux....Special edition of Linux?

From: Steve McClure <steve_at_pactr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:56:07 -0700

I have been asked to put together a quote for a UNIX box that will run an Oracle Database. The database is relatively small and will not have lots of HW requirements. I though Linux was something to look into, due to the low cost of the OS. In looking into Redhat Linux I saw they had a 'special' enterprise edition for Oracle. Well upon calling them they said their standard version had some issues with Oracle, and they had altered their kernel to suit Oracles needs. Does this mean they went in a configured some options within the kernel? Or is this a different kernel? The tech I spoke to was not able to say.

Bottom line is this...Linux off the shelf is under $100. The special enterprise edition runs $2500.

All I am doing is building the box, and installing Oracle.

Thanks for any insight you might send my way. Steve McClure Received on Wed Oct 04 2000 - 14:56:07 CDT