RE: Another Version Question

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:12:48 -0500

Hi Henry/Nancy,
On UNIX there is a new directory created (as default) in $ORACLE_BASE titled 'oraInventory'. The installer creates several sub-dirs/files in there. From these files the installer collects information about what's installed (with their version numbers). I fount it rather difficult to scan these files to figure out how installer gets that information. And finally gave up.. Also, Oracle expects the conents of 'oraInventory' to reflect what's installed in $ORACLE_HOME, but does not take extra precautions to make it certain. Case in point, when my 8.1.6.2 patch failed, the 'oraInventory' directory got out of synch with what was in $ORACLE_HOME. OWS asked me to reinstall 8.1.6.0.0 and reapply the patch with a workaround. That was the only way to get 'oraInventory' fixed. Tampering with it is not supported. Whenever I tried to re-apply the patch.. installer told me I was already up-to-date and there was nothing to patch. Only re-installing 8.1.6.0.0 is the option. And I will have to do that in the near future... We are now backing up 'oraInventory' along with $ORACLE_HOME to keep those in sync....
HTH..
- Kirti