RE: Is 8.1.7 generally available?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:45:27 -0500

Every time I ask the question, I get an answer of "soon". Next week was the latest, but MetaLink won't have it listed probably until November if we're lucky (took Oracle two weeks to determine why they couldn't ship 8.1.6 for OpenVMS to me, even though it was "released"!).

Also, beware of memory requirements in 8.1.7 (as opposed to 7.3)! The instructor for the Oracle Perf Tuning class I was in was told in his Oracle training to recommend a *minimum* of 512MB RAM for an NT box. This is up from 32MB for v7, 64MB on v8, and 256 in 8i/R1+2. EGAD! And that's on a CISC processor! What about Unix-and-OpenVMS RISCs???

Java this, Java that, iFS, HTTP-serving...can I just SELECT * FROM SCOTT.EMPLOYEE??? [soapbox: off]

Rich Jesse                              System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com                 Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI
USA -----Original Message-----
From: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com [mailto:Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 15:36
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Is 8.1.7 generally available?

Is 8.1.7 generally available? Can I order a CD of it? Does it have it's own migration utility for upgrading from 7.3.x?

Is there any word from the trenches on the general stability/bugginess of 8.1.7? How about as opposed to 8.1.6?

Thanks,

Cherie

This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan VirusWall. Received on Wed Oct 04 2000 - 15:45:27 CDT