Openworld Thoughts....

From: Frank N. Pettinato <frankp_at_extremezone.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:31:49 -0700

Well, I just got back from Openworld /2000 ... a few observations and things to share...

  1. SF is a great town had a lot of fun. Lots of Oracle stuff everywhere!
  2. Got to meet some great people (Rachel Carmichael, Guy Harrison, Eyal Aronoff) forgive me for the spelling!
  3. 9i is supposed to be released in May 2001(Yeah right!)
  4. 9i has alot of new and potentially scary features. One that comes to mind is the fact that somehow you can "uncommit" a committed transaction. I am not sure how they do this, but they showed us a committed transaction and then they "uncommitted" it. Even if this works, how can we keep the users from finding out about it? HE HE..
  5. Seemed to be alot of emphasis from Oracle on Oracle Tools "helping" the DBA do his job better by removing many of the "mundane" tasks. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not, how much power and flexibility will be lose?
  6. Check out Oracle DataGuard for Solaris...automation of hot standby db switchover via Korn shell scripts and a few Pro*C programs. Pretty cool, but I wonder how much they will charge for this..
  7. All Oracle tools are supposed to be bundled into 2 tools; 1 -Data Server or 2 - Internet Application Server. This should be interesting...
  8. Presentations by Rachel, Ari and Roger Schrag (as well as most of the others) were great!! Can't wait for the whitepapaer URL...

All in all, alot of fluff and a few general overviews of new features that we may or may not end up seeing. I will have to keep my eye on this 91 thingee...See ya next year in December! ( 2nd - 6th).

I would be interested in anyone other thoughts from anyone else that attended. Received on Wed Oct 04 2000 - 23:31:49 CDT