Re: Multiple Oracle Homes in WinNT

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 02:27:37 -0400

> Sanjay Kumar wrote:
>
> Has any one dealt with Multiple Oracle Homes in WIndows NT?
>
> What is the impact of installing another oracle product with a new
> Oracle Home in WIndows NT? What will happen to the existing Oracle
> Home?
>
> TIA
Sanjay,

2 things:

Only one will be the default home.

I do have a machine at work with 4 homes, as I installed the 8.1.6 documentation into its own home.
I have multiple 7.3.x and 8.1.6 databases, but even though I have an 8.0.6 install, I have not created a database in it - but the binaries are there just in case. We jumped straight from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6.

The 8.1.6 default listener is going to want to grab port 1521 by default, so leave that port open for it.

Also, you may want to create batch files that start a command prompt with a specific ORACLE_SID set as an environment variable. For some reason, I still like using svrmgrl for some things, like recovery, or to use lsnrctl and netstat to check to see if I've crossed the streams on the configuration of the listeners. In this manner, you can set the title of your command prompt to have the proper SID - kind of like having the glogin script configured for sql*plus.

Actually, I used SQL*Worksheet from OEM 1.3.6 today to recover a tablespace over a dial-up. I didn't think that I could use that product for it, but that's what I was logged in with, and just gave it a shot. Kind of a funky window that presented the choices of archived redo log to apply. It was definitely a Monday morning today.

How much RAM is in your system? I was trying to run Quests schema manager on 256 MB of RAM with 3 smallish DBs up at once: a target, a baseline and a repository. Looks like the current version is still choking on clusters. Received on Tue Oct 03 2000 - 01:27:37 CDT