UTF8 problems

From: Marin Dimitrov <marin_at_sirma.bg>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:40:12 +0300

Hi,

We have a database with WE8ISO8859P1 database character set, and we have to recreate it with UTF8 charset. The import runs fine, but the very first insert into VARCHAR2 fields results in

"ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column"

the table has no LONG columns, also I've browsed Metalink for the problem and couldn't find anything relevant (the varchar fields are much less than 4000 bytes, and there is no problem with CLOB fields)

I tried to change the JDBC driver (from OCI to thin) and we got even more weird errors:

"ORA-01006 bind variable does not exist"

I really have no idea what to look for, any hints will be appreciated

    Marin

"The happier people can be, the unhappier they are..."

                              "Veronika decides to die", Paolo Coelho