Re: SYS and SYSTEM users

From: Peter Lee <super_trek_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:41:24 -0700

The command:

alter user system default tablespace DATA_00
> temporary tablespace TEMP_00;
> alter user system quota unlimited on DATA_00;

The commands above change the system user default tablespace to DATA_00 and the
temporary tablespace to TEMP_00. Any new objects created by the system will
not go into the System Tablespace by default and any sorting performed by the system user will be done in the external tablespace TEMP_00 instead of in the small temp area in the System Tablespace. Essentially, the system user will not using causing contention (disk I/O) on the system tablespace.

Only data dictionary objects and other objects that belong to sys should goes into the System Tablespace.

I hope this help.

Pete

> Hi all,
>
> What is the impact in doing the following.
>
> alter user system default tablespace DATA_00
> temporary tablespace TEMP_00;
> alter user system quota unlimited on DATA_00;
> alter user sys temporary tablespace TEMP_00;
>
> These commands are in our database creation scripts. Don't know for what
they did this. Like to know the ups and downs.