RE: Single RAID 5 array

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:18:01 -0400

I just came back from the Networld + Interop show and at the Linux = pavilion there was a demonstration of a new controller card for drives. It = is produced by 3ware company and called "Escalade". It uses IDE drives and = treats them as SCSI. It allows you to connect 8 drives to the controller = card. Think of the possibilities. 60 GIG X 8 =3D 480 GIG for a little over = $2000 (60 GIG IDA drives are around $260 each). The card connects to the = PCI bus and supports various RAID configurations. It also supports Windoze = 98/NT/2000.
Sounded good at the show, might be worth looking into is you have a = limited budget and need more drives.
ROR =AA=BF=AA >>> Satar.Naghshineh_at_irvine.mellesgriot.com 09/29/00 04:10PM >>> Make sure your array is totally redundant. Have two controllers accessing the array. Also, look into cooling fans, power supplies, redundant cache = (if
applicable), redundant disk bus, etc.

Without, a hot spare, you can lose only one drive.

One last thing, buy an external disk drive for your archived redo logs.

Regards,
Satar

It
> still seems worthwhile to archive, however, as you could still recover =
up
> the most recent copy of archive log on tape. Anything I am missing? =
Thanks