Re: Moving from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8?

From: Suzy Vordos <lvordos_at_datsit.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:42:27 -0600

Ditto... when I converted to UTF8 (from US7ASCII) it was for Vignette StoryServer, and our on-site support from Vignette recommended UTF8 only.

One point of confusion (for me) is that ALTER DATABASE can be used when the current charset is a subset of the new one... but I couldn't find any references that list which charsets are a subset of another, except in the Oracle docs about converting from US7ASCII. I concluded this was just an example, and a bigger list could be found elsewhere....

The Vignette people made the conversion sound like a slam-dunk, no big deal... but I had the same questions regarding column sizing, app code changes, etc. However, I left that job a few months ago. At that point, we'd converted one dev database to UTF8, installed SS5.0 and did a transfer project from SS4.x to SS5.0 without any problems or noticeable difference. Sorry I don't have more info to share :(