RE: INITIAL and NEXT extent sizing question

From: Fred Smith <fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:00:43 EDT

Apparently I phrased my initial question(s) incorrectly...

I have a table that has a core set of essentially read-only records (very very few updates/deletes.) For application reasons, new inserts must occur in this same table. (Creating one readonly table for the old records and one new table for the new inserts is not possible in our situation.) I wish to export all of the data in the table and re-import it in an organized fashion. What is my best solution?

  1. Should I create one large initial extent for all of the data already in there? (To do this do I just multiply the block_size by (Select BLOCKS from dba_tables) after analyzing of course??
  2. Then, how do I go about picking the correct size for my NEXT extent?

Thank you ,

   -Fred S.

  1. Analyze the table