Re: DBA Alert - nothing to see here - move along - patch treadmill

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:57:27 -0400

Sanjeev Singh wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Please read this very carefully. I was reading a article in eweek
> magazine(September) on oracle. Following are exact words.
>
> " Oracle has been quietly alerting customers that systems running oracle
> 8.1.6 or earlier could find the database control file corrupted if the
> server runs for 248 consecutive days without a reboot".
>
> Is this legit???

Maybe the patches issued for Solaris are less frequent, but I'll wager that for NT you're patching or upgrading every 60-90 days for the near future. 8.1.7 is already out for Solaris - can't be more than 3 months away for NT.

Isn't 8.2 (Release 3) being annouced at OpenWorld? Received on Wed Sep 27 2000 - 23:57:27 CDT