Re: INITIAL and NEXT extent sizing question

From: Eric Lansu <eric.lansu_at_quicknet.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:43:46 +0200

In Oracle 8i there's no real limit to the number of extents. I use a max of 4096, and a working max of 1024 extents. I have 2 xtent sizes 160K and 5M

5M * 1024 = 5Gb, a rather big table without partitioning etc....

Logical next steps could be 160Mb and 5Gb

You can force this uniform sizing from 8.1 on :-)

Eric Lansu

> The theory behind uniform init and entents is the reduction of
fragmentation and wasted space. If you use 1 large extent and then truncate the table a lot of small extents can reuse the space freed up but is the extent sizes are a mixed bag then the space usage can and will leave a lot of holes that are not big enough for an extent. Thus fragmentation.

<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>@SMTP_at_AMG1