Re:RE: Lock Table

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:21:40 -0700

On 27 Sep 2000, at 7:10, dgoulet_at_vicr.com scribbled with alacrity and cogency:

Date sent:      	Wed, 27 Sep 2000 07:10:36 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	dgoulet_at_vicr.com
Subject:        	Re:RE: Lock Table

> I agree, there appears to be some type of long standing BUG in Oracle.

Long time ago, as a student, I really messed up a VAX/VMS machine in a computer lab running Oracle4 when I accidentally started a bad join (forgot the t1.key=t2.key in the "where") on some large tables (at least large for those days), and then rebooted the terminal when "ctrl-break" didn't stop the query. (note: no sql*net involved) Apparently the bad join ran for a long time, and sucked up giant resources.

The VMS SysAdmn eventually killed it manually (and made some "pithy" comments to the instructor). :)
regards,
ep