RE: oracle parallel server

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:14:03 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1349677345-969988443=:85625

 What version of OPS are you using?

  Dave Morgan <dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com> wrote: Hi Chuck,
We are using OPS on 2 node IBM HACMP's with shared SSA.

OPS reduces performance but improves availability.

I don't belive in the 5 9's bs going around as if you are properly redundant everywhere and you have an unscheduled outage it is likely to be catastrophic. As I say to my managers, if I am down at all, it is going to be a minimum of 2 -3 hours to get back up. ( I call them managers instead of damagers because they actually listen)

My record for 100% uptime (database availabilty) is 17 months on a standalone 7.2.2.3 database on a standalone SUN 5000. I guess that was before this 248 day problem.

Currently we are not sophisticated enough here to achieve this level with OPS. (Development and support issues)

The big thing is everything required to provide access to the database must be redundant at the hardware level. Power, network, disks, controllers, machines, routers, switches, everything. This makes it very expensive to implement properly.

If you have the proper infrastructure and people the only downtime you should have is for OS upgrades and Oracle upgrades (patches can be applied one node at a time).

Unless your company is a finance institution or managing life and death data I would recommend avoiding OPS. Set up a hot standby or replicated site and use the money you save to provide more CPU/memory/disk for Oracle.

I have seen more downtime because of inadequate hardware resources in my career than because of disasters or hardware failures.

HTH
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Database Administrator
Author: Dave Morgan
INET: dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com

--0-1349677345-969988443=:85625

<P> What version of OPS are you using?<BR>
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>Dave Morgan &lt;dmorgan_at_bartertrust.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hi Chuck,<BR>We are using OPS on 2 node IBM HACMP's with shared SSA.<BR><BR>OPS reduces performance but improves availability. <BR><BR>I don't belive in the 5 9's bs going around as if you are <BR>properly redundant everywhere and you have an unscheduled<BR>outage it is likely to be catastrophic. As I say to my managers,<BR>if I am down at all, it is going to be a minimum of 2 -3 hours to<BR>get back up. ( I call them managers instead of damagers because<BR>they actually listen)<BR><BR>My record for 100% uptime (database availabilty) is 17 months<BR>on a standalone 7.2.2.3 database on a standalone SUN 5000. I<BR>guess that was before this 248 day problem.<BR><BR>Currently we are not sophisticated enough here to achieve <BR>this level with OPS. (Development and support issues)<BR><BR>The big thing is everything required to provide access to the <BR>database must be redundant at the hardware !