Do I need to rebuild my indexes?

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:46:16 -0500

One of our databases has a table with 22 million rows in it that got corrupted data in it. In order to fix the corrupted data, a temporary table was created, the data was written to the temp table, cleansed, the original table was truncated, and the clean data was written back to the original table pretty much in primary key order.

I think we need to drop and recreate or at least rebuild the indexes now that the table has been truncated and the data rewritten. A fellow DBA maintains that there is no value in doing so. Surely performance will suffer if we don't rebuild the indexes. Is this not true? How much benefit will be get in dropping and recreating the indexes as opposed to rebuilding them as opposed to leaving them as is?

Thanks,

Cherie Machler Received on Tue Sep 26 2000 - 13:46:16 CDT