RE: Recovering a tablespace

From: Thapliyal, Deepak <DThapliyal_at_ea.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:13:32 -0700

Victoria.. here's ur answer ..

>>Well, I brought on the last full snapshot, did a full import
>> and started the recovery command on the tablespace, not database.

irrespective .. rather i would say its irrelevant .. as u r missing a imp concept .. u cannot roll forward from archives using import .. this will work only if u restored a physical backup and then tried rolling forward using the archives.

>> Every time I tried to bring everything on line, it would complain there
was recovery to do.
probably because ur online logs had the required recovery flag turned on .. but then u say that u did a full import .. hmm! other list gurus might be able to answer this one ..

>> My question is, does the incomplete recovery only work on a recover
database command and not recover tablespace?? YES. the reason is that incomplete means consistant to a prior point in time. so that means that u need to always restore the LAST COMPLETE COLD BACKUP and then roll forward upto ur desired point in time (time/cancel/scn based)

if u want to simulate a "recover tablespace incomplete" scenerio then tsptr is what u are looking for. this requires u construct a clone database and then do a tsptr on the same. refer to metal link for detailed info on the same.

hth
deepAk

Author: Victoria DeVore
  INET: DEVOREV_at_gw.lbcc.cc.or.us