RE: recover table after drop

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:05:42 GMT

you can recover the table from a hot backup *if* you have the space on a different server to play (or the ability to shutdown your system for a while)....

restore (at minimum) the system, rollback, temp tablespaces as well as the tablespace that contained the table. If you are doing it to your production system, shutdown the database first and take a FULL backup before starting this!

Once you have restored those tablespaces, do a startup mount, alter the other tablespaces offline drop and open the database. Apply whatever archive logs you have, you can also apply the redo logs if you know EXACTLY when the table was dropped -- do a recover until <time> where the time is just before the drop.

EXPORT the table. Shutdown the restored database, delete the files, if you did this on your production system, restore that backup. Now import the table.

These steps are the general steps to take. They are NOT the exact process..... I leave that as an exercise (and possibly punishment?) for the person who has to do this.

And in the future consider taking an export, at least of critical tables, on a regular basis, in addition to your files-level backups. Logical backups are as important as physical.

Rachel