Re: Restoring tables/tablespaces

From: <Heidi_Schmidt_at_gillette.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:03:54 -0400

No problem. Been there, done that, had the *gulp* moment and went on :-)

If you choose to go the import into production route, do so only after you take a backup and only after you have tested this in development. My two pennies. My rule is never do to production what you haven't done to development.
In your case you don't have the luxury, ... yet.

As for recovering pl/sql look at the table dba_source and select the whole procedure text out with a select statement and spool it to a file that ends in .sql  A very cool former coworker taught me that. *thanks Bill! wherever you are*
In sqlplus set long 4000 to get one continuous line.

Export doesn't grab the text in a good format, which is a pain.

I wish you the best.

     Heidi

                    achoto_at_americ
                    an.edu               To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    Sent by:             <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    root_at_fatcity.        cc:
                    com                  Subject:     Restoring tables/tablespaces

                    09/25/00
                    03:41 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Thanks to Steven Monaghan and Heidi Schmidt for their suggestions.

We recreated the user's id and we're going to recreate/reload the tables owned by him using Data Stage. The only thing we won't be able to recover is his plsql code.

Unfortunately we don't have a test machine, (it's a long story) we're working on that, but we're short of space in the server where we're planning to set up our test environment. My original thought was (if I had my test machine) to restore the database to the state it was prior to dropping the user. Export the user and then import it in our production machine. Is this a viable solution? I'm probably going to set up my test machine next week, thank God! Needless to say we've been very lucky so far and haven't had many problems. It only becomes obvious and urgent to get our test environment set up when things like these happen!

Thanks again!

Ana Choto
Systems Programmer
American University
202-885-2275

  INET: achoto_at_american.edu

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:03:54 CDT