RE: NT disaster recovery for Oracle - your experiences

From: Khushalani, Vikram <vkhushalani_at_grci.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:38:27 -0400

Sean,

We are facing a potentially similar situation.

Here is how we would approach it on an NT platform with a 'cold backup' of our lost system at hand:
(this is for versions 7.3.x --> 8i)

Portions of this have been tested. The part I have not tested yet is the renaming of the CONTROL FILE. Theoretically it should work, but I like to test everything.

Do a dry run first to ensure success.

On the New Server:

  1. Install Oracle Server(same version as the one for which you have your backup).
  2. Decide where you want your new databases datafiles to be and use this information in the next step.
  3. Create a small Database with the Same Name as the lost DB
    • Either using the GUI
    • Or via scripts The purpose of this is to have the correct Registry entries and to have the correct Services created.
  4. Shutdown your new database, but 'do not stop' the Oracle related services.
  5. Copy (from your backup) ALL the datafiles to the new locations.
  6. Edit your INIT<SID>.ORA file and change the entries (where relevant) for locations for your CONTROL FILE, ROLLBACKS, TRACE FILES, etc. etc.)
  7. Open a 'Command Prompt' window and issue the SVRMGR23 (I think for your 7.3.x version) or SVRMG30 (for your 8.0.x version) or SVRMGRl (for your 8i versions) and 'connect internal/passxxx' (passxxx is your internal password)
  8. Now you want to mount your database with a startup command but do not open the database yet. Then you will want to rename (for Oracle) your datafiles to new locations. Here is how-

SVRMGR> Startup mount pfile=d:\orant\database\initsid.ora  Note- Replace 'd:\orant\database\initgd2k.ora' with where

       your INIT<SID>.ORA file is.

       After the database is mounted (you should see
       'DATABASE MOUNTED.' from SVRMGR) you can start renaming
       the files (i.e. telling Oracle where they have been moved to).
       Remember this is done inside the SVRMGR since
       oracle needs to know where its files are (your datafiles
       already exist physically at the new locations)

SVRMGR> Alter database rename file 'D:\orant\database\log1sid.ora' to 'e:\oradata\log1sid.ora'
 Note- substitute your file names here

9) Do this for each file which is changing location.

  1. Once all the files have been renamed you can open the database -

SVRMGR> Alter database open
Note- If things worked fine then the SVRMGR will just tell you

      'Statement Processed' and you database is up.

  1. We are not done yet. Now shutdown the database (normal) within the SVRMGR and then restart the database.
  2. Verify your data integrity, etc.
  3. Before one goes live with this database one should take a backup.
  4. Make sure that you change any scripts you have (for cold backups, etc.) to reflect your new configuration.

Test-->Test--->and Test Again before implementing.

Forgive me if you know all the commands and the details are superfluous.

HTH
Vikram Khushalani
Oracle DBA

Author: O'Neill, Sean