RE: ODBC and Macintosh

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:00:21 -0000

Neil,

Not sure if this will be helpful but Oracle has just announced "the support and certification of the Apple Macintosh client for Oracle Applications 11i".

A quick scan of the release notes suggests that it is using Java on the Mac to access Oracle.

See the link on Metalink:
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_datab ase_id=NEW&p_id=1186779.999

Hope this is of some help / interest.

Regards,
Bruce Reardon
mailto:bruce.reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au

Author: "Neil MacDannald" <nmacdannald_at_sjdccd.cc.ca.us>
Date:       9/20/00 2:45 PM

Hello,
Does anyone out there use Macintosh computers? If so, what do you do about using Net8? We were told Oracle does not and will not support Net8 connections
via Macintosh O/S 9.

We now connect via Sql*Net version 2 when connecting Mac's to Oracle 8.1.6. but
are having problems with alias'es not surviving a reboot of the system. We have
to reset Oracle_Home after each reboot.

What will Oracle do for Macintosh O/S 10? Does anybody know? We do not want to
use ODBC unless nothing else is available.

Neil MacDannald, Database Analyst
San Joaquin Delta College, Information Services Voice: (209)954-5300, Fax: (209)954-5600 email: nmacdannald_at_sjdccd.cc.ca.us
Web Page: http://www.deltacollege.org/emp/nmacdannald
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Does anyone out there use Macintosh
computers?&nbsp; If so, what do you do about using Net8?&nbsp; We were told Oracle does not and will not support Net8 connections via Macintosh O/S 9.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>We now connect via Sql*Net version 2 when
connecting Mac's to Oracle 8.1.6.&nbsp; but are having problems with alias'es
not surviving a reboot of the system.&nbsp; We have to reset Oracle_Home after
each reboot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What will Oracle do for Macintosh O/S 10?&nbsp;

Does anybody know?&nbsp; We do not want to use ODBC unless nothing else is available.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Neil MacDannald, Database Analyst<BR>San
Joaquin
Delta College, Information Services<BR>Voice: (209)954-5300, Fax: (209)954-5600<BR>email: <A
href="mailto:nmacdannald_at_sjdccd.cc.ca.us">nmacdannald_at_sjdccd.cc.ca.us</A><BR >Web

Page: <A
href="http://www.deltacollege.org/emp/nmacdannald">http://www.deltacollege.o rg/e
mp/nmacdannald</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com