IMTsearch or standard ?

From: Michael Henderson <MHenders_at_tvnz.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:05:40 +1200

Hi,

It seems that IMT (interMedia Text) searching allows for fuzzy matches and = stem-based matches which standard text comparison doesn't. Has anyone = found these options very useful ? (I can imagine they may be).

I have an indexed keyword table (currently) consisting of only single = words, each mapping to a particular article (ie. an article may have more = than one keyword)... and was wondering whether a single text column (space = separated keywords) in the article table would give better search = performance (using IMT).

So, I guess i'm asking two questions:
1) how does the IMT searching (with text index) compare with standard = searching (with index) ? - speed, ease-of-use, features, etc 2) what is the best string layout for IMT searching ? - multiple keywords = in one text string, multiple rows of single words ?

Any Ideas ? Any comments ?

Regards,
Mike.

Michael Henderson, DBA
http://www.nzoom.com
DDI: +64-9-916 6941 Fax: +64-9-308 9614 Mob: 021-465 466 Received on Tue Sep 19 2000 - 16:05:40 CDT