RE: Replication Question

From: <ramakrishna.gv_at_db.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 08:52:52 +0530

Hi Yosi
  In Multimaster Replication Environment how often do we need to run the DBMS_RECTIFIER_DIFF.DIFFERENCES and DBMS_RECTIFIER_DIFF.RECTIFY.

 Thanks & Regards

 Ram
 Tel:4236953

From: Yosi_at_comhill.com on 15/09/2000 15:51 GMT

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
cc:
Subject: RE: Replication Question

Hi Phil,

Oracle stores data to replicate in a queue, and pushes the queue to the other db through a database link at regular intervals that you specify. If there's no data to push, the push job does not connect to the other database.

You can push a lot of data. We had a 400Mb network connection (4 lines at 100Mb each somehow spliced together to make 400Mb) and LOTS of disk to replicate one 2 terabyte db to another. The volume was supposed to be 8 million rows a day. I got out before it went production, but the tests we were running were pretty good.

If you do have lots to replicate, and you're really new at this, you may want to bring in a consultant for a week to do an initial knowledge transfer. That helped me tremendously when I started doing replication in earnest (when I went from simple snapshots and a few hundred records to two terabytes and several million).

Boy I miss the days I had real work to do. (Don't tell my boss.)

HTH, Yosi

  INET: Yosi_at_comhill.com