RE: Is it possible to create Matrix FORMs

From: LGE <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:30:03 -0500

A few more questions.

Are the regions known in advance? For example, will the regions always be regions "A", "B", "C", and "D"? If so, the link pointed to by another respondent illustrates a way to do a matrix when the values are "known" and set in stone. You could create a view, or, if on Forms 5.0 and above you could consider a "From Clause" query, or, a block based on a stored procedure. I have a couple of example forms sitting around here at home.

Regarding the sub-totals, are you talking about on the detail lines rolling up, or, maybe column totals only (Regions A Totals, Region B totals, etc, or both? Just this past week, I was asked to tune the SQL for a Form displaying data in a "matrix" format along with sub-total lines aggregating up through 4 levels. So, there a few ideas and approaches that can be applied from that. If sub-totaling the detail lines, are the number of "levels" known in advance? If so, things are much easier.

Is this for displaying the data only, or, do the users need to be able to update the data, and, see the sub-totals and such change?

Do you need to do DML, actually updating the underlying data?

Sorry for so many questions; but, there are numerous approaches that can be used, and, how you might go about doing things varies based on answers to the above questions. Also, with regards to the layout, can you save that info to a text file that retains the layout and send it to me as an attachment? My mail reader kind of scrambled it around. It looks like it is based on parts, orders for those parts, with columns for region:

        Region A Region B

Part1   Order1 ...   Order6 ...
        Order2 ...   Order7 ...
Part2   Order2 ...   Order8 ...
        Order3 ...   Order9 ...

If you are still working on this and need some ideas, let me know. I have seen some pretty creative approaches to this problem.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins