(Fwd) RE: The ODTUG Lists [collaboration: IOUG-A & SELECT magazine articles]

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:41:17 -0700

to: Oracle-L list members

fyi: see below for an excellent opportunity to be mentored by some of the "greats" in the field in how to write published articles (and also contribute to the building of outstanding user community organizations).

cc: pdorsey_at_dulcian.com,odtuglist_at_odtug.com

David,
Thanks for not going ballistic. Peter K told me that only I would have had the gall to ask for articles on the ODTUG list. You are a true gentleman. I hope you didn't have to calm down too much before you write this version. :-)

Let me continue this thread a bit. Writing articles is great thing to do for yourself professionally. Beyond the exposure that you get and the increased marketability of your talents. I think the main benefit is that you really think through what you are writing about. With the books I have worked on, I can honestly say that the main benefit is what I learned while doing them.

Thee are two things you need to be successful in the business. You have to be good and you have to be visible. Writing articles helps you with both areas (and you don't have to stand up in front of a big group of people and present anything).

You don't need to be brilliant to write an article. Both David and I try to help new authors to get their articles ready for publication. All you need is the willingness to share your experiences with others.

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.