Inserting into a long column

From: Steven Monaghan <MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:33:38 -0400

We are getting the following error when inserting into a table:

ORA-1704: string literal too long

The field we are inserting into is a long, so the field can definitely handle the data. But, the insert statement does not seem to allow entry of a quoted string greater than 2000 characters in the quoted string.

How do I get around this? Is there any way to do this in plain SQL, or do we need to use PL/SQL?

Steve

Steven Monaghan
Oracle DBA
MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.