RMAN questions

From: John McCabe <johnm9563_at_netscape.net>
Date: 13 Sep 00 11:55:49 PDT

Hi all:

We have been asked to look at implementing Veritas net backup. While the Veritas piece is being handled by another group, I need to setup RMAN and=  a
recovery database/catalog. =

Questions =

1)Can the recovery catalog register databases on remote nodes. And if it = can
is that a good idea?. =

2)We are going to have 1 robotic tape library (STK) that all backups will=  go
to. If using one Recovery catalog, can the backup be written directly to = the
central tape device, or is there some overhead by the recovery catalog. =

3)Can the recovery catalog on unix register NT databases . =

TIA John =

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://home= =2Enetscape.com/webmail

 From: "Watson, Pamela L" <watsopl_at_texaco.com>  Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:59:49 -0500
 Subject: RE: UNIX q

Tia,

Try adding "> /dev/null 2>&1" to the end of your crontab entry.

Author: Ashish Shah
  INET: ar_shah_at_yahoo.com

From: glen.bernas_at_marchFIRST.com Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:49:20 -0500 Subject: Request Log - An error occured while attempting . . . When I try to review a request by pressing <REQUEST LOG> I get the following error An error occured while attempting to establish an Application File Server connection with the node N/A. There may be a network configuration problem, or the TNS listener on nod N/A maby not be running. I have review note 66649.1 and that did not help. Any suggestions Glen Bernas marchFIRST
From: "Deshpande, Kirti" <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:04:08 -0500 Subject: RE: ksh history for sql*plus Hi Suzy, Here it is http://www.orafaq.org/faqscrpt.htm. It's #9 in UNIX Shell Scripts section.. HTH - Kirti > -----Original Message----- > From: Suzy Vordos [SMTP:lvordos_at_datsit.com] > Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 12:26 PM > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L > Subject: ksh history for sql*plus > > > I've misplaced the link for this, anyone have it ?? > > Thanks, > suzy > -- > Author: Suzy Vordos > INET: lvordos_at_datsit.com > > Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 > San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists > -------------------------------------------------------------------- > To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message > to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in > the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L > (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may > also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
From: "Boivin, Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:02:38 -0300 Subject: RE: Oracle DBAs for Raleigh, NC..Work from Home... On www.dice.com <http://www.dice.com> one job posting has "Oracle Certified DBA" as the only requirement! : ) Patrice Boivin Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA) -----Original Message----- From: Adams, Matthew (GEA, 088130) [SMTP:MATT.ADAMS_at_appl.ge.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 1:01 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: RE: Oracle DBAs for Raleigh, NC..Work from Home... There it is folks. The first time I've seen OCP listed as a requirement. > * Requirements: > - Applicants must possess have a 4 year college degree; > - 4 or more years Oracle DBA experience; > - Skilled in Unix and/or NT administration; > - Oracle Masters and/or OCP certification; excellent SQL skills. > - U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is also required. > -- Author: Adams, Matthew (GEA, 088130) INET: MATT.ADAMS_at_APPL.GE.COM Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
From: Val_Gamerman/Victoria_Financial.VICTORIA_FINANCIAL_at_lnn.com Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:03:38 -0400 Subject: 2 entries in V$SGASTAT for log_buffer -- Excessive rode log Hello, I am still working on this issuse with redo logs. It's actually worse then I originally stated in my e-mail. During the night backup the redo logs are generated at the rate of two 10Mb files per minute with practically no activity against the database. I understand that there will be more redo generated while I am in the backup mode, but not THAT much with no activity. While trying to work on this problem with Oracle support I decided just for the heck of it to double check the value of the LOG_BUFFER in v$sgastat just to make sure that it's not different from what I have in init.ora. To my great surprise I got 2 records returned from this view for the following query. SQL>select * from v$sgastat 2 where name = 'log_buffer' 3 / NAME BYTES
log_buffer 1048576 log_buffer 16384 SQL> The 1M entry is what we have it set to in the init.ora. I have no idea where the 16K is coming from and what it means. If anybody could shed some light on this I would be very appreciative. We are at the point were we have not had backup for two consequtive nights -- the backup runs very slowly and estimated time to complete is about 24 hours (I assume it happens because the box is bogged down with all this redo archiving). Thanks, Val Gamerman. To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Val Gamerman/Victoria Financial) From: "Val_Gamerman/Victoria_Financial.VICTORIA_FINANCIAL"@lnn.com @ NOTES NET Date: 09/11/2000 09:45:46 PM GMT Subject: Excessive rode log generation after upgrade Hello, I upgraded Oracle over the weekend from 7.2 to 7.3.4 (I know 7.3.4 is to be desupported soon, please no flames :-). Our redo log switches used to occur every 1 hour - 2 hours. Now they occur every 25-30 minutes. I know that this is still acceptable, however I can see that the database/application is sort of behaving slower then usual. I tried to talk to Oracle Support and did not get any help from them. The guy I talked to philosophy was -- if it's not down, it's working fine :-) It looks almost as if I was in the BACKUP mode all the time -- too much redo is generated. I did verify v$backup and all the files are in the 'NOT ACTIVE' status. When there is no activity against the database, naturally there is no log switches -- no log switches during the night. What should I check for? What can it be? There were no changes made to the application. We have the same number of users as we had before the upgrade. The only two things that changed are the Oracle version and location of some data files.