RE: How many databases do you support?

From: <Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:01:00 -0700

How about local vs. remote databases?

Currently I have 12 local databases on unix (6 running that SAP thing) but it looks like I'm going to "inherit" 3 or 4 (maybe more) remote databases on NT boxes. All of them considered "production." I'm not too happy about this, but, oh well.

I have one junior person working for me... Plus "DBA" isn't the only "hat" I wear... I think we are going to be even more understaffed. Unfortunately, "understaffed" seems to be the "rule-of-thumb" around here. It can be difficult to justify headcount

Kip

|Is there any sort of rule-of-thumb for how many database
|that a DBA should be expected to support? I realize
|that the answer would vary based on size of databases,
|stability, production vs. development, mission critical,
|24/7, etc.

|But in general, how many databases would you think
|a DBA should be supporting if you divide the total
|number of databases in an organization by the number
|of DBAs supporting them?

|How many databases do you support on average?
|What is the size of your team?

|Trying to get ideas for the head count of our DBA team
|here and wondering what the industry standard is.

|Thanks

|Cherie

|--