ora-01251: unknown file header version

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1734575198-968776468=:19670

I just got the following error messages trying to bring an 8.1.6 tablespace back online. Anyone have any clue what went wrong. It's happened to me twice today.

ORA-01122: database file 7 failed verification check
ORA-01110: data file 7: '/u52/oradata/OTSFL/drsys01.dbf'
ORA-01251: Unknown File Header Version read for file number 7

What happened is I was moving an NT 8.1.5 database to Unix 8.1.6. I created the DB on unix but missed precreating two of the tablespaces. I then exported from NT, and imported into unix, and of course it tried to create two tablespaces with NT file names which doesn't work. It removed all of the \ characters and created files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs with names like "F:ORADATAPSLWD04NAME.DBF". I tried to fix them after the import by offlining the tablespace, moving/renaming the datafiles, renaming them oracle, and onlining the tablespace. When I tried to online the tablespace I got these errors.

BTW this is a dictionary managed tablespace.

OWS is trying to say because I used the unix "mv" command instead of "cp", that it was an unsupported method for moving and renaming datafiles. Poppycock! Where do they get these people from?

I also tried the "backup controlfile to trace" method of renaming the datafiles by shutting down the db and recreating the controlfile with the new file names. I still get the same errors.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! --0-1734575198-968776468=:19670

<P>I just got the following error messages trying to bring an 8.1.6 tablespace back online. Anyone have any clue what went wrong. It's happened to me twice today.</P>
<P>ORA-01122: database file 7 failed verification check<BR>ORA-01110: data file 7: '/u52/oradata/OTSFL/drsys01.dbf'<BR>ORA-01251: Unknown File Header Version read for file number 7</P>
<P>What happened is I was moving an NT 8.1.5 database to Unix 8.1.6. I created the DB on unix but missed precreating two of the tablespaces. I then exported from NT, and imported into unix, and of course it tried to create two tablespaces with NT file names which doesn't work. It removed all of the \ characters and created&nbsp;files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs with names like "F:ORADATAPSLWD04NAME.DBF". I tried to fix them after the import by offlining the tablespace, moving/renaming the datafiles, renaming them oracle, and onlining the tablespace. When I tried to online the tablespace I got these errors.</P>
<P>BTW this is a dictionary managed tablespace.</P>
<P>OWS is trying to say because I used the unix "mv" command instead of "cp", that it was an unsupported method for moving and renaming datafiles. Poppycock! Where do they get these people from?</P>
--0-1734575198-968776468=:19670-- Received on Tue Sep 12 2000 - 11:34:28 CDT