RE: If You Had Data Like We've Got Data ...

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:41:00 -0700

Objectivity. We use a hierarchal storage system composed of disk arrays and Redwood tape drives. If data is needed from the Redwood drives it is automatically copied to disk. The storagee system, HPSS (High Performance Storage System) allows us to treat the stuff on the tape drives as if it were on disk.

I thought Oracle was going to make it possible to use such a system. The updating of the headers of all the read/write datafiles make implementing this solution in Oracle difficult to say the least.

We believe we now host the world's biggest database. Still bigger ones are planned at Fermilab and at Cern. There's alot of neat stuff going on. Use of NTON, the National Transport Optical Network and 100 megabyte/second transfer rates between remote sites, SLAC and CALTECH, being demonstrated.

OID looked good as a way of managing access to resources, until the pricing was announced. Oracle has profitted handsomely from work done at High-Energy Physics Labs. The Web was "invented" by Tim Berners-Lee formerly of Cern. Perhaps Larry E. will pay the community back by making OID free.

Ed Pierce's claim that the "Web as we know it" was invented at the National Supercomputing Center at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champagne, or is it Champagne-Urbana? was really a claim that, mosaic, the first of the breed of modern Web browsers was invented there.

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_bcbso.com