RE: Temporary tablespace for SYS

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:55:39 -0700

I believe the claim was that this was true sometime in the past. It is certainly not true now. About a week ago some developers working on a nascent database called to say they had dropped too many tables. I performed a point-in-time recovery, but forgot that locally managed temporary tabespaces are not included in hot backups. The database opened without incident, but very shortly afterwards my pager was receiving messages, "Can't lock file ...". The old temporary tablespace file had been deleted. Dropping and recreating the temporary tablespace fixed the problem. This was sys's temporary tablespace.

Luckily, the first attempted use of the tablespace was by one of my database monitoring scripts. The developers never knew the problem existed. Although, I was pretty sure droppping and recreating the tablespace would fix the problem, I was very glad I had performed a cold backup whih included the "temp_file" before I started the point-in-time recovery.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu