Oracle 8.0.5

From: <blair_at_pjm.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:41:10 -0400

We have a mission-critical app running on RDBMS:7.3.2.3 AIX: 4.2.1

Our vendor has sent us a proposal to upgrade the RDBMS to 8.0.5. I know there are releases beyond this (e.g. 8.0.5.x, 8.0.6.x, 8.1.x). But after searching Metalink it is not clear to me that higher releases are any more bug-free than 8.0.5. While higher releases fix 8.0.5 bugs, they seem to introduce additional bugs. Therefore instead of going to the highest release, my optimal strategy (keep in this mind this app is mission-critical) should be to go to the lowest release since in those releases Oracle Tech Support will have had the most time/experience in fixing known problems.

Any comments on 8.0.5 vs. higher versions? Comments on my upgrade strategy?

tia, Received on Mon Sep 11 2000 - 08:41:10 CDT