Re: RE: Max size of a datafile in oracle

From: surendra tirumala <surendra_tirumala_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2000 19:34:33 -0000

Hi Uma,
The max size of df is decided by the way u respond to the option while installing OS.It clearly asks whether to go for managing larger files(>2GB), while installing. Suren

2GB size is not oracle limit.... it depends on your OS, but better to have less than 2GB, this will help to manage the datafile

 From: "Tom Pall" <tom_at_cdproc.com>
 Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:36:52 -0500
 Subject: Re: Oracle 8.0.5

If you upgrade to 8, then upgrade to 8.0.6. It's supported, for now.

The best I've heard about Oracle 8i is that it is no buggier than Oracle 8. Of course it's got a bunch more features and those have bugs in them.

I do not have any money making databases running at 8.1.6 yet, as I am using 8.1.6 for reporting and non-critical databases, just to get my feet wet. I'm eagerly awaiting 8.1.7, as the bugs in 8.1.6 which prevent me from running in CBO are slated to be fixed in 8.1.7.

We're a two DBA company and we average opening up two TARs a week, all on problems with 8.1.6. Because of this, my production databases are *NOT* going to 8.1.6 anytime soon. If we are forced to upgrade by Oracle Support, we'll upgrade production databases to 8.0.6 until the glaring problems we face in 8.1.6 are fixed, at least.