Installation Mystery on 7.3.4

From: Rajesh Dayal <Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:59:00 +0400

Hi Listers,

        Yesterday I had simple problem but a solution which was a total mystery for me.

        At one of my client's DB the distributed option was not installed (Oracle 7.3.4 and DEC Unix 4.0 E). To install that option first we tried to do it using installer which some-how didn't succeed. Later after checking Metalink we could accomplish the task using following commands (after shutting down all DBs).

 make -f ins_rdbms.mk ddbopt

 make -f ins_rdbms.mk install

        The puzzle for me is that how the above two commands could enable distributed option for Oracle ??? Does it mean that all these options (Parallel server, Parallel Query, Replication, Spatial Data etc) are just stored/flagged in Oracle Kernel only and not stored anywhere in Oracle data-dictionary???

        Please clarify......

Thanks in Advance, Received on Sun Sep 10 2000 - 23:59:00 CDT